Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Best Laid Intentions

So why start this blog? That's a good way to start this blog, huh? I'm a lover of books. That's no surprise to anyone who knows me. I think that few publishers have had as rich and influential of an influence on the publishing industry and as remarkable of a history as Penguin has. They've consistently put out amazing titles and I think they've been trendsetters in their designs.

I'm the first to admit that a good cover will ALWAYS cause me to gain some curiosity on a book, often to the point of just buying it :p Penguin, along with their many imprints now, continue to put out amazing lines of books.

What originally started me wanting to do this project was wanting to read the original Penguin paperbacks. Though they're SO hard to find here in the US. But that won't stop me :p The design was so simple, yet so aesthetically pleasing. They were published during the wars when people were looking for distractions and were color coded based on the subject matter of the book. I'd love to own them all one day, but that's a bit ambitious!

Since then they've put out MULTIPLE lines of other amazing books including their Penguin classics line, their gorgeous penguin hardcover classics with the amazing cloth covers, and tons of different smaller imprints that have unique covers. One of my favorites are their Penguin Great Food series which I'm lucky enough to have a few of. They've also put out a series of Shakespeare books through their Pelican imprint and continue to put out amazing childrens books through their Puffin imprint.

Yeah...you can see why I'd like to read as many of this publisher's books as I can. Even their regular old literary fiction titles are some of my favorites out there. So this blog will sort of be a learning experience for me. It'll be about what I find and bring into the house, my thoughts on the different designs that Penguin is putting out, reviews of course on the Penguins I read, and my journey through it all.

Is it dangerous to add yet ANOTHER specific type of book I'd like to collect when it's already bad enough? Well of course....but there could be much worse problems, right? RIGHT? :p

3 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! I love everything about your new blog!!! I love that you're keeping a list in the sidebar about the classics you've managed to find (that shall be quite helpful!). And I love that you've got a LibraryThing library just for your Penguins. And I love that you're going to review *all* Penguins, not just the classics. Oh heck, like I said, I love everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....and he's off and running! I think whenever you post here you should put a small note at the end of your posts on the normal blog so we are aware you posted here. I don't subscribe to any "notices" so my email doesn't go nuts on me I just go to blogs each day to see if a new post has been posted or not... I will keep my eyes alert to any "solid color" covers when I go to thrift stores!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debs, Glad you're loving the new blog :D As you see, I am indeed keeping a list of classics I've gotten over there :p I'm really loving my new librarything too! Hopefully it slows down soon :p I've just had so many come in from penguins I've found on paperback swap!

    Deslily, I am indeed! And I think that's a great idea about putting a note on my main blog when I post over here :) I think I shall do that! Thanks again for my penguins mama!

    ReplyDelete